Protection & Control Engineer
Perform a substantive role in the substation design, preparation of specifications or field engineering related to assigned engineering projects under the supervision of the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or other designated professional engineer. The incumbent must be competent to operate various power system software tools required for performing the application of protection and control system engineering. The incumbent must also possess an understanding of both basic and complex power system calculation methodologies, terminologies, and techniques.
Essential Functions of Position:
1. Ability to develop proposals including a scope of work that details the established goals and objectives and clearly defines the deliverables and schedule of work to be performed.
2. Perform power system engineering studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge of power system planning, design and operation.
3. Participates in marketing to clients and of projects and identifying new and maintaining existing client relationships.
4. Ability to perform power system engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of equipment and systems. Such studies shall include but not be limited to faulty studies using standard software tools such as ASPEN. Areas of analysis will include relay protection assessment, protection devices assessments and coordination.
5. Prepare and review written reports which explain the purpose, methodology, data requirements, recommendations and observations of power system engineering studies.
6. Ability to analyze results and develop conclusions on problems being studied.
7. Maintains a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical skills.
8. Keep supervision informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established expectations.
9. Ability to work independently and with others while maintaining a high level of initiative and self-motivation.
10. Acquisition of on-site measurements and other data to accomplish the design or to monitor and evaluate plant performance.
11. Coordinating equipment delivery and design engineering to meet construction schedules.
12. Monitor the construction of various electrical systems as assigned to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
13. Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
14. Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that all project design requirements are satisfied.
15. Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and ensure compliance with all codes.
16. Prepare and/or monitor complex construction schedules to ensure timely completion of the work.
17. Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor’s methods.
18. Be familiar with the Company’s drawing system and design and construction standards as well as applicable industry codes and practices.
Other Functions of Position:
1. Serve on industry committees and associations as appropriate where potential client’s network.
2. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate within the organization and outside with clients.
3. Must have good PC skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
4. Perform all other duties as assigned.
5. Perform complex economic analyses of engineering alternatives.
6. Serve as project engineer or project manager on assigned projects.
7. Shall keep informed of current developments in the area of responsibility.
8. May assist in the professional development, training, and evaluation of department personnel.